NetWorker Blog

Commentary from a long term NetWorker consultant and Backup Theorist

  • This blog has moved!

    This blog has now moved to nsrd.info/blog. Please jump across to the new site for the latest articles (and all old archived articles).
  •  


     


     

  • Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery

    If you find this blog interesting, and either have an interest in or work in data protection/backup and recovery environments, you should check out my book, Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy. Designed for system administrators and managers alike, it focuses on features, policies, procedures and the human element to ensuring that your company has a suitable and working backup system rather than just a bunch of copies made by unrelated software, hardware and processes.
  • This blog has moved!

    This blog has now moved to nsrd.info/blog. Please jump across to the new site for the latest articles (and all old archived articles).
  •  


     


     

  • Twitter

    Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Traps when upgrading from 7.3.x to 7.4.x – CDI

Posted by Preston on 2009-02-24

I’ve had a few customers in the last few days now upgrade from NetWorker 7.3.x to 7.4.x, and the most common issue that seems to be coming up is a failure in CDI. The scenario is that tape drives become effectively unusable, and whenever an attempt is made to use the drives, an error along the lines of the following comes up:

nsrd media alert: device deviceName: serial number mismatch, check system device ordering. Expected…

or:

nsrd media warning: deviceName reading: read open error: command completed successfully (drive status is … The drive serial number has changed)

The first thing to do when you get this error, it seems, is to check the status of CDI. If you had CDI turned on (i.e., set to “SCSI Commands”), turn it off for every tape device and then test again. That will usually do the trick.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Traps when upgrading from 7.3.x to 7.4.x – CDI”

  1. Matt Temple said

    This piece of information was absolutely invaluable to me. I switched two tape libraries and deleted then recreated the storage node info with JBCONFIG. After that, I got the error messages you report above, and I had NO idea what they were telling me.
    -Matt

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: